Building and debugging the DAX Editor
Prerequisites for building
- Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Pro or higher
- Visual Studio 2010 SP1 SDK, available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21835
- AMO and ADOMD. CTP3 versions of these DLLs are available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26726
- To edit measures in tabular models, you must have SQL Server Data Tools for SQL Server 2012 installed. The CTP3 is available at http://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLDCTP3CTA/enus/default.aspx. This CTP includes Visual Studio 2010, AMO, ADOMD, and an evaluation version of the Analysis Services Engine.
Building and installing the DAX editor
1. Install all pre-requisites and download the source code.
2. Open DaxEditorSample.sln.
3. Build the project.
4. Go to the bin\debug folder.
5. Double-click DaxEditor.vsix. Accept the license and complete the installation.
6. Restart all instances of Visual Studio. Now the DAX editor is ready to use.
Debugging the DAX editor
You may modify the source code for the DAX Editor. As you are working, you can debug the DAX Editor using the experimental instance of Visual Studio. To ensure that your changes to the DAX Editor appear only in the experimental instance, and not all instances of Visual Studio, you should start VS from the command line with appropriate arguments, like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /rootsuffix Exp